In 2017, the Council to Advance Hunting and Shooting Sports will partner with Wildlife Management Institute to host state-level R3 workshops. These workshops are a facilitated 8-hour event designed to educate state agency staff and/or partners on the following topics:
- Current research of hunter, angler, and recreational shooter demographics
- Primary R3 recommendations and best practices from multiple national projects
- The Outdoor Recreation Adoption Model – the path an individual moves through to adopt a new outdoor activity or increase an individual’s avidity in an outdoor activity
- Aligning R3 Efforts – how to align their and their partners’ programs along that process to identify where programs can be linked and where program gaps exist
- Prioritizing R3 Efforts – which strategies should be employed first in an agencies’ effort to conduct effective and efficient R3 efforts.
These collaborative sessions help staff to build understanding and buy-in to R3 and then also enhance cooperative efforts between NGOs and industry at the state level. Council staff work with state R3 coordinators to establish an agenda, help with invitations and other preparation leading up to and then after the event. At the end of the event, the R3 coordinator is offered some notes and recommendations to help them proceed in stepping down the National Hunting and Shooting Sports Action Plan to the state level.
If a state is interested in hosting an event such as this one, please contact Samantha Pedder at email@example.com.